Last night I was craving some good ole fashioned spaghetti, and then the Janorexic suggested something much healthier…Quinoa pasta. I’ve heard her mention it before but I’ve gotta be honest, I have a really hard time with whole wheat bread (I know, I know), and so I’ve never bothered trying whole wheat pasta or anything resembling “healthy pasta”. BIG MISTAKE. Quinoa is DELICIOUS! I suggest you go find it at Whole Foods and use it as your go-to pasta! It’s worth the price difference for the added health value. Only 1.5 g of fat and 9g of protein!
Quinoa Pasta with Chunky Veggie Red Sauce
What you’ll need:
1 package Quinoa spaghetti
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus about 2 tablespoons for the boiling pasta water)
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes (San Marzano, if possible), plus their juice
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 zucchini squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/2 pint of cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 oz kalamata olives
4 fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons for garnish
Shaved fresh parmesan
1. Heat the EVOO in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until it starts to soften, about 1 minute.
2. Crush the tomatoes in a bowl with the heel of your hand. Add them to the pot, then add the tomato juice, red pepper flakes, salt, sugar, and oregano. Mix to combine. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the flavors combine and the sauce is reduced.
3. Add squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and kalamata olives. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
4. In a large stock pot, bring 4-quarts of water to a rapid boil. Add 2 tablespoons EVOO to the water and then add the pasta. Return water to a boil, stirring frequently, cook 6 to 9 minutes or until pasta is tender. The package reads “DO NOT OVERCOOK”…so don’t…um…do that. Seems like they might get angry with you if you do.
5. Drain the pasta, serve topped with the Chunky Veggie Red Sauce, parmesan, and fresh basil.
As always, thanks for reading! And thanks even more for EATING!