Okay, so it’s been a while since I’ve been in the kitchen, so sorry for the silence! I think I’ve been lacking inspiration since my Janorexic moved into her own place and my boyfriend has been out of town writing and recording his next album. I did, however, get to whipping some stuff up this weekend for my best friend, Rachel’s wedding shower! If you ever need a dip to bring to a party, this is the one you need to bring! It’s a MASSIVE HIT! Actually, it was gone so quickly, I didn’t even have a chance to photograph it! I almost took a picture of the empty “Little Dipper” just to prove just how amazing it was!
This recipe came from the Entertaining with Friends Cookbook, a collaborative effort of a lot of Nashville area chef’s and home cook’s put together to benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. A family I nanny for made a donation and gave me the cookbook…I am so grateful! I’m in so LOVE with this cookbook! So thank you Jamie, Lankford, Jack, and Landon! If you’d like to get a copy for yourself and give to a phenomenal charity in the process, you can pick one up at any of the following Nashville area locations:
· The Friends Shop at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt (second level)
· Parisian at Cool Springs
· Valentine’s Interiors
· The Belle Meade Plantation
· Pear Tree Avenue, Brentwood
· The Frist Center for the Arts gift shop
· The gift shop at Vanderbilt University Hospital (second level)
· Borders at Cool Springs and Brentwood
· Social Graces
· The Registry in Franklin
· Hot Pink, Brentwood
· Harpeth Gallery
· Harpeth True Value Hardware
Or check out www.vanderbiltchildrens.com to make a $35 donation.
Alright, so here it is!
What you’ll need:
7 slices of bacon, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup half-and-half
4 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) chopped smoked almonds
Toasted pita chips
French bread slices (I used the french bread slices)
(Disclaimer: I prepared all of the ingredients and put them into the Little Dipper crock pot for 2-3 hours. The recipe calls for cooking in the oven. Whichever works best for you is fine.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless you’re using a crock pot).
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 7 minutes or until almost crisp, stirring frequently. Drain excess drippings from the skillet. Add the garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until the bacon is extra crisp, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
3. Beat the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the half-and-half and mix well. Stir in the bacon mixture, bleu cheese and chives. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the almonds. Serve with apple slices, toasted pita chips and/or french bread slices.
Enjoy! And as always, GO EAT SOMETHING!